Thursday, December 20, 2007

NEWZWLAND ALL-ROUNDER JACOB-ORAM POSTPONES WEEDING TO PLAY IN IPL
AUCKLAND, December 20: New Zealand all-rounder Jacob Oram has postponed his wedding to fiancée Mara to participate in the inaugural Indian Premier League next April.

The wedding was scheduled for late March but Oram said the US 200,000 dollar offer to play in a Twenty20 league in India in April was too good to pass up.

Oram let the cat out of the bag when he was asked whether there was any pressure from New Zealand Cricket not to sign with the IPL because April was supposedly a rest period for the all-rounder before the Black Caps tour England.

"The only pressure was for my wedding. "I've had to postpone it, it was a joint decision between us because the opportunity in India is so good," stuff.co.nz website quoted Oram, as saying.

Oram said he would withdraw from the IPL if his injury required rest before the England tour.

"I've spoken to the Indian people and I'm going subject to fitness. If I'm carrying an injury I'm not going to go over there and thrash myself so I can't play for New Zealand. I would rather play two months in England - it is the ultimate tour- than go to India," he said.

Oram added his decision had the blessing of national coach John Bracewell and New Zealand Cricket CEO Justin Vaughan.

No comments: