Saturday, December 15, 2007

BOSE BOUNCER FOR SELECTOR BISWAL
His India hopes all but gone, Ranadeb Bose hit out at national selector Ranjib Biswal for spreading the word that he is not quick enough. The East Zone man in the five-member committee said recently that it was tough to "fight" for Bose because the team management thinks he "is almost as slow as Dada (Sourav Ganguly)."

"If he has said that, he's lying. Nobody in his right mind can say I am as slow as Sourav," snapped the medium-pacer who took 57 wickets in eight Ranji Trophy matches last season and toured England earlier this year where he took five wickets in an innings in the only first-class match he got, against Sri Lanka A.
"I was between 132-134 kmph at the Challenger Trophy. It was live on TV and those who want can check. Sourav bowls at around 120 and the difference in our pace is significant.

Biswal saw me in the recent Ranji match against Orissa where the keeper was collecting it from near his chest. I must say he is a liar if he says I bowl at Sourav's pace," added Bose. When contacted, Biswal denied having said that. "Speed is a problem with him, but I never said he is as fast as Sourav (Biswal incidentally was on record when he spoke to the media in Siliguri recently. He said the team management felt Bose's pace was in the Ganguly range). And then, a majority of selectors don't want him."

Biswal had also said because Bose was so slow, the battle for tickets to Australia was effectively between Pathan, Ishant, Munaf, V.R.V. and Pankaj Singh. "Of the five, only VRV and Pankaj are faster than me," Bose retorted. "Given the pace Munaf has bowled at of late, that is. And I am not talking about performance, since the selector has talked just about pace." Bose is certainly not the quickest around, but his out-swing, accuracy and hard work has been rewarded with a rich haul of wickets last season mainly on a slow Eden Gardens pitch.

"I know I don't have a chance to play for India anymore. Maybe because I don't do a lot of things like sending messages to certain people on their birthdays, marriage anniversaries or don't try to please them by doing things that go beyond performing in the cricket field. It's disappointing, but I have to accept it," Bose was calmer, having seen the death of his dream and having started concentrating on domestic cricket again.

No comments: